LessQL is heavily inspired by NotORM which presents a novel, intuitive API to SQL databases. Combined with an efficient implementation, its concepts are very unique to all database layers out there, whether they are ORMs, DBALs or something else.
In contrast to ORM, you work directly with tables and rows. This has several advantages:
- Write less: No glue code/objects required. Just work with your database directly.
- Transparency: It is always obvious that your application code works with a 1:1 representation of your database.
- Relational power: Leverage the relational features of SQL databases, don't hide them using an inadequate abstraction.
For more in-depth opinion why ORM is not always desirable, see:
NotORM introduced a unique and efficient solution to database abstraction. However, it does have a few weaknesses:
- The API is not always intuitive:
$result->nameis different from
- There is no difference between One-To-Many and Many-To-One associations in the API (LessQL uses the
Listsuffix for that).
- There is no advanced save operation for nested structures.
- Defining your database structure is hard (involves sub-classing).
- The source code is very hard to read and understand.
LessQL addresses all of these issues, is fully tested, and actively maintained.
The MIT License (MIT) Copyright (c) 2015 Morris Brodersen <email@example.com> Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions: The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software. THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.